HOME         ABOUT         30b430         2015         ADVERTISE         SHOP MK        

2.12.2014

Confessions of a blogger:

I have to admit, that I saw this post when Christina posted it the other day, and she was tagged by Meg.. so I went to read Meg's too, because she's super cute and I like her a ton. It was then that I saw that Meg had tagged ME to do this as well! I can't believe I didn't catch that. Worst friend. Worst blogger. ever. me. But. Here I am, doing it now. Thank you Meg, for tagging me! I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. You're the best.

So, provided were the following questions, which I'm suppose to answer, and I'll tell you I'm a bit hesitant to even partake in this because I feel like I'm so not the person to be taking blogging "advice" or whatever from. But if nothing else, maybe we can get to know each other a little better from it. So hoorah. Here's to getting to know each other.
circa 2011
1. When did you first start blogging and why?
I GUESS, technically, I first started blogging in High School. It was a LiveJournal, and I didn't really know I was blogging at the time, I just kind of thought I was journaling and all my friends were journalling too, and we could read each others journals? Which is kind of what blogging was, but really- in the early 2000s I didn't have a clue what blogging was.

I started blogging on purpose in 2008. It was a blogspot address. I can't even remember what the name of the blog was (not this one obviously) but I did it because I had just moved back to the states from New Zealand, and my very best friend from NZ had just started blogging (Amanda from Here Comes the Sun blog), and she told me I should too. So I did. She wrote this post back in 2008 and it was about me, and sometimes I go back and re-read it, just because I miss this time in our lives. Special memories. Thank you blogging.

I first started this blog in April 2013.

2. Have you had any past online presence? 
oh not significant "presence", but as I mentioned, I've done it all as far as "blogging" whether I knew it or not. I did Livejournal... several times: a couple were (andantefavori and badbeat_lulu_x) , xanga (Rusted Vintage), tumblr (birds for brains), and several blogspot blogs, such as "Shayla shut your eyes"(which later turned into "birds in her hair"), "Bird Brains"(which later turned into "Sweet Darlin'.") Sweet Darlin' was my blog before this one.

Before you go clicking on any of those links: I must warn you- I was SUUUUUUPER emo. like really.

3. When did you become serious about your blog?
Honestly, I'm still in the transitioning phase of "serious". I would, I suppose, consider myself serious- because I do receive income for blogging. So I have a bit of an obligation to it. So let's just say.. recently.

4. What was your first blog post?
The first blog post was really hard to start. So I just made it an introduction. A little tid-bit about who I was at the time, where I came from, where I was going.. You can read it here if you'd like. I wish I could find the first blog post I made EVER, but all of my previous blogs that I can track down are "friends only".  Now that'd be something to blog about.

5. What have been your biggest challenges blogging? 
Just to keep going. Finding content. Remembering that I started doing this for me, and that I can go back to that any time I want. Sometimes finding time is a challenge.

6. What is the most rewarding thing about blogging? 
I may be echoing Christina here, but she hit the nail on the head. It's the community. The girls I've met through blogging. Man, some of the most encouraging, sweet ladies I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I never imagined I'd make such connections when I started out. It's been the biggest blessing.

7. What is the most discouraging thing about blogging? 
Sometimes you put a lot of yourself into a post and dont get much of a response from your readers. It's these times I have to go back and remind myself: I started blogging for me. For Fern. So who cares if nobody's really interested in what we did last week- Someday Fern might come back to this and really appreciate it. Also, just like pinterest does to me- comparing myself to other bloggers. I actually spend time thinking about in the future when we get a house of our own how I'll be able to take pictures of it and show you guys a house tour. Or how maybe when Fern gets older she'll cooperate better with the camera and I can show you all of her cute outfits. That's just silly. Blogging is all about sharing who you are where you are. That's important to remember.

8. What is your blogging dirty little secret?
You know how I have this thing for day planners? Well I have one dedicated to my blog. Which would make more sense if I was like... James or something.. but let's get real. Most of the time I just pount out these posts the day before. Still, I try to schedule my sponsor posts and giveaways, because I feel like I owe it to them to be thorough.

9. What is your current goal as a blogger? 
Well, on my 30 before 30 list I have "hit 1000 followers". So I suppose that. I'd love for my blog to be a main source of income, but it's not something I'm actively pursuing at the moment. If it were to ever happen, I'd be just happy as a peach.

10. Have you learned or become passionate about anything through blogging that caught you by surprise? 
Reading. I mean... I guess it started with that 30 before 30 list I mentioned- one of the things on there was "create a list of 30 books and read it".. I hadn't really read much of anything since High School, so it was a big deal to start that. I feel like the blog has kept me accountable to that and has given me this passion for reading that I've never had before. I'm really enjoying it.
circa 2011.. or 12
are we still friends? Are you embarrassed to be in the company of the former "badbeat lulu" or "shipwreck shayla"? eeeek! I AM!

please love me more for overcoming that stage of my life!

oh! I tag Tillie, Melissa, Amanda (Jaynes) and Kenzie! and you! If you do this survey, please comment and let me know! I'd love to read your take on blogging. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment