HOME         ABOUT         30b430         2015         ADVERTISE         SHOP MK        

12.30.2013

What I read in 2013

As you (may or may not) know, one of the things on my 30 before 30 list is to make a list of (at least) 30 books, and read them. I really didn't think this was a very easy task for me, and I didn't believe in myself enough to get it done. I hadn't read in YEARS, truly, and with Fern and online classes I just thought- no way.. totally unattainable.
However, I really made it a priority, and (with a little help from audio books) I'm so ecstatic to share with you, the list of books I've gone through this past year since making my list:
(all photos are mine unless otherwise stated at the bottom of this post)

1.Wildwood by Colin Meloy
2. Under Wildwood by Colin Meloy
These books are wonderful children's novels written by my main man himself, Colin Meloy of The Decemberists. His awesome wife, Carson Ellis does all of the incredible illustrations. You may have seen her work before in some of Lemony Snicket's books. 

3. The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Steadman
One of my favorite books I've read this year. I mean, do NOT read this book without a box of tissues in hand, but seriously. wow. I love a book that makes you question what you think you believe. This book will rip your heart out. I love it. 

4. The Book Thief by Mark Zusak
One of the most beautifully written books I've ever read. Narrated by death, the descriptions and details in the book are almost other worldly. I'm anxious to see if the movie (coming out soon) will do any justice at all to the book, or just make me really angry. 

5. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender
I love Aimee Bender. I have several books on my list by her that I have yet to get to. All in all, this was a great book. One thing I just couldn't get passed, though... Chocolate Frosting on Lemon Cake! It came really close to ruining the whole book for me. I'm glad I didn't put it down when I came across the chocolate frosting, near the beginning of the book, because Aimee is such a great writer, I was able to overcome this terrible clash of flavors and read on. Sorry if chocolate frosting on lemon cake is your favorite. I'll try not to let that get in the way of our friendship. 

6. The Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn Jackson
A bit ghostly, but not creepy. More of a mystery story. I really enjoyed reading this one. I really enjoy reading everything, though. I'm a terrible critic. 

7. The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Love. love. love love love ... love love love. I hear there's a flower dictionary you can get to go along with this book. Which is on my wishlist. It made me so interested in flowers and their meanings. read this book, and read it now. 

8. The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
It's no secret that Sarah is my favorite author. I've read and own all of her other books. This one was probably my least favorite of the group, but still a cute little read. Sarah can really do no wrong. I recommend ALL of her books. Go get the collection. (There's a new one coming out in February! hooray! You'll see it on the list next year.) They've all got such sweet southern characters and so much charm, with just a hint of magic. but not harry potter magic.... for like.. fantastical magic. Just read them, you'll know what I mean. 

9. Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
This is the same author who wrote "The Time Travelers Wife" (LOVED IT). But this book is NOTHING like The Time Travelers Wife. I still enjoyed it, it just wasn't what I thought it would be. I was warned it would be pretty creepy, and it was.. but it was one of those books that doesn't creep you out until after you're done reading it and you're awake at night thinking about the details of the finished book you just read. Then you're like.. "gahh.. wahaaat? geeezz. omg." you know?

10. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
I have never cried harder in my life than the way I cried reading this book....
Do you get what I'm telling you? 
No real life event in my entire life, has affected my emotions the way this piece of teen fiction has.
It. was. WONDERFUL. 
(again, they're making a movie of this book, that will probably ruin it for me, and that bratty girl that played in "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" is playing the main character's part which I hate so much, but I read a review from John Green saying he loves her playing Hazel, so I guess I'll give it a chance, but my expectations are low.) 


So, I get that those "reviews" tell you pretty much nothing about the actual books, and only about how they made me feel... but that's surely enough to go on, right? I'm not a book critic. What do you want from me?

Have you guys read any of these? What did you think?


Photos credit (via Instagram): 
The Book Thief - @petaldew
The Language of Flowers- @katetatem
The Sugar Queen- @kristineghia
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake- @_fahh_

No comments:

Post a Comment