HOME         ABOUT         30b430         2015         ADVERTISE         SHOP MK        

12.18.2013

Snow Globe DIY: Cheap and Easy.

Dare I post two DIY's in a row? Well, if we're being real (and we always are) I am not very organized this time of year, so yeah man. We're doin it!
If you (like me) wait until the last minute to get your kids teachers gifts, or more specifically, you forget until the night before the last day of school that you need to get your kid's teachers a gift: This is the DIY for you.
quick, cheap, easy.

my favorite words.

oh, and add adorable in there too. That's a good one.

For this DIY you'll need:

-Jars with lids that screw on securely- (you can get fancy and go to Hobby Lobby to choose from their huge variety of jars (no canning lids, they'll leak.) OR. Baby food jars are the tops. Cheap, and you may have them in your house already. The jars I used were leftovers from our wedding. We have so many jars.
-Photos- You can zip down to CVS or Walgreens to print some off for super cheap, if you don't already have some you'd like to use. You can even connect to facebook to snag some off of there, or directly from your phone via their photo kiosks. The size of your photo will depend on the size of your jar. You'll need 2 photos per jar. Mine were wallet sized, and I still trimmed them a bit.
-Glitter- I used white confetti glitter, but hey, it's your snowglobe- go crazy.
-Glycerine- I read that you can also get this in any drugstore pharmacy section. Well, not at the CVS I went to, so I opted out of the glycerine. It's purpose is to make the glitter float down a little slower.
-Water- from the tap is dandy.
-Packing Tape- for waterproofing your photos.


Here's what you'll do:

1. You're going to use two photos per jar. They'll be connected in a circle. You'll just need to measure to see if you'll need to trim them a bit. You want to make sure they'll fit in your jar.

2. Using your clear packing tape, "waterproof" your photos by covering both front and back. Then Trim the sides.

3. Connect your photos (with clear [packing] tape) so that they make a ring, photo side out. (this is so no matter which way you turn your snowglobe you'll see that snazzy little photo

4. Pour glitter in jar. Just Enough to fill the bottom, plus a shake more. You don't want to over-do it.

5. Put your photo ring in the jar upside down.

6. Fill the jar halfway with water.

7. If you're using glycerine, add about a cap full

8. Fill the jar the rest of the way.

9. Close the lid tightly and shake it a few times to make sure there's no leaking.

10. turn your jar upside down, and VIOALA! your very own snowglobe!


** You may need to settle the glitter a bit, it tends to stick to the photo initially.
*** You may also want to spray paint the jar lid. I sprayed mine gold, because how could I not? This is a fancy little touch, but not totally neccesary. I also wrote Fern's name and the year on the top of the lid for keepsake purposes.


let me know if you have any questions about this DIY, I'm not very good at giving instructions. I'd be happy to explain further or add more photos if my ramblings only make sense in my own head.

Also, I'd love for you to let me know if you end up making one of these beauties! I' really wanna see!

No comments:

Post a Comment