HOME         ABOUT         30b430         2015         ADVERTISE         SHOP MK        

4.30.2014

Festival of the Arts: 2014

Every year since I was a freshman in High School the Festival of the Arts has been one of my favorite things to do. It started with a passion for food and getting out school with my friends, and by the time I was 20 the thrill of being inspired by the many types of art displayed with like minded friends was what I looked forward to. Then, when T & I started dating it became a tradition of ours to go. I actually remember one year, he was working downtown where the festival is held, and we thought he wouldn't be able to go- so I went for him and walked the several blocks to share my festival food with him. We've gone every year together until this year. Two years ago I was 8 months pregnant and still waddled through the art determined to get my strawberry newport. Last year was Fern's first festival of the arts. Somewhere in the last couple of years it became less about the art (it's always about the food) and more about the tradition of going.

Tristan didn't make it with us this year due to our conflicting schedules and to be honest- we didn't plan very well for it this year. It sort of snuck up on us. So we actually met up during the day with an old High School friend of mine who has a daughter near Fern's age. We didn't even eat anything this year, we just chased the girls around, but my goodness. It was nice to be out at an event, watching those girls play together. They were so sweet. And even though we could've stuck our toes in the dirt anywhere, I'm glad I got to say we went to the Festival of the Arts, yet again. I do look forward to next year and the next, and hopefully one year we'll go and Fern will be just as inspired by the art as I once was, and equally as drawn to the tradition. As for now, I'm really craving Strawberry Newport.

No comments:

Post a Comment