HOME         ABOUT         30b430         2015         ADVERTISE         SHOP MK        

8.06.2013

Registering for items with no place to store them.

 A problem that has come up recently is registering for our wedding. One of the best parts, right? You get to go and pick out the dream KitchenAid mixer in the perfect color for your dream kitchen, the most perfect rug that you love, but would never spend that much money on yourself for the hallway, a bathroom curtain that matches the bathroom trashcan that matches the bathroom toothbrush holders!... I attempted this. I have to say, I'm GREAT at picking out my "dream items" for my "dream house".
Unfortunately, the two problems I came across, are:
a.) storage: We don't have an ACTUAL house to put any dream items in. Since we live with roomates (in the house above), and the three of us are in one room, most of our belongings are in storage as it is. If we got registry presents, they'd go right to storage. BUH- MER. 

but we could still do that.. at least we'd have stuff for when we DID get our own place. Then there's...

b.) I can't pick out the perfect large fluffy bathroom towels, or right COLOR KitchenAid mixer when I don't know what color my kitchen or bathroom is! I can't register for that super cute poofy net-y footstool thingy if I don't know if I have enough room in my future living room to put it.. or If I'll even like it by that time. Do I have a microwave in storage? I can't remember. 

It just seems like what we should be registering for is a house, rather than things to put IN our 'someday house'. One step at a time, right? But how do you tell everyone who is coming to your wedding .. "oh hey.. don't get us that blender you love getting people for their weddings, we just want cash." Can you do that? It's so impersonal, right? Have you met my dad? He'd rather go buy me an actual garage door to my new house than give me the money for it. You never know.. I might spend it on food, or drugs, or diapers, or THE WEDDING! (hi, dad. I know you're reading. love you!) 

Well, friends and family. Thanks to my oh so smart future sister in law, who created a registry for her honeymoon & knows all about everything involving the interwebs, We have registered at Hatch my House. It's perfect. You should go take a look-see if you're in the same situation. It's a virtual house, and your friends and family can purchase that garage door or window or flower box under the window, for however much they'd like, and it goes straight into your bank account (through paypal) and you put it toward a downpayment for a house. So smart, right? Everybody wins. Dad gets to buy my roof, and I get to ask for money for a downpayment, without actually coming out and saying "give us your money". I love it. We'll also have a little honeymoon jar at the wedding for cash donations if people would rather donate directly to the honeymoon. (all of which will be mentioned in our invitations)

What do you think? Brilliant idea, or straying too far from tradition? 

No comments:

Post a Comment