HOME         ABOUT         30b430         2015         ADVERTISE         SHOP MK        

6.17.2013

50 years

We usually get together for every big holiday and have a big cookout together. This year, instead of gathering on Father's Day, we got together the day before. Not to celebrate Father's Day, but to celebrate these two: My Grandma and Grandpa. We celebrated 50 years of marriage this weekend. What a blessing.


 These two have set so many examples for our family over the years, one being their example of commitment in marriage. Not to mention, grace, love, happiness... The list goes on. 

My grandmas laugh will forever be etched in my heart. Her gardening skills are something I aspire to. I remember being a bratty pre-teen and blowing up at her over nothing, probably, because I can't remember what it was. I remember how she responded with patience and a calm voice. I remember my fumes melting away and at that very moment she had instilled this desire to be more like her. She taught me so much growing up. She let me talk to her about anything and I found myself seeking out her wisdom very often. 

My grandfather, a retired head of security, and before that, undercover narcotics policeman, apparently melted his stone cold facade after grandchildren came along. His animated stories and ridiculous ongoing vendetta with AT&T and the phones he'll never know how to work, have us grand kids visiting his shop constantly. Always a project to work on, but never too busy to take a break to teach us a chord or two of a Johnny Cash song on guitar. This man is always available to us. Whether its to pull our new boyfriends' car out of the snow, or to dig out a new volleyball court for the backyard, or to pack up all of our belongings on his trailer and move us to a new house.... Again, and again, and again. 

As kids, our summers and spring breaks were filled with camping trips to the lake, Dollywood, or up the east coast to see war memorials. These two bravely packed up all the grand kids, swallowing their pride and eating meal after meal at McDonald's... Listening for hours to Ray Stevens cassette tapes. On repeat. 

They've been setting an example together of what I want my family to look like, all of my life. I never even realized it until I started building this family of my own. I'm so thankful for their presence in our lives. Together they've taught me about life together, family, love, patience, humor, the love of The Lord, and so much more. My picture of a full life would be so different without them. 

Happy Anniversary to my grandparents. Truly the best couple I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. 

2 comments:

  1. What a precious couple and beautiful influence to your lives!
    XOXO/Lena @ RootandBlossom

    ReplyDelete